Final whistle blows for County Minor Youth League

A long-standing football competition for youngsters has conceded defeat after being unable to attract sufficient interest.

The County Minor Sunday Youth League was founded in 1969 and ran every year before taking an enforced break last summer following a decline in membership.

It was hoped to attract sufficient teams for the league to re-start at the starts of the coming 2017-18 season.

However, despite the best efforts of league officials to rekindle interest in the competition for under-17s and under-18s, not enough teams have come forward and the decision has now been taken to wind up the league.

League secretary Eddie Preece said: “I’ve been contacting around 34 teams since February with a hope of resurrecting the league.

“Several weeks ago we had eight applicants, six under-17s, two under- 18s and three or four others interested, which would have been enough.

“However, since then the two under-18s teams decided to play in a league of their own age and others gradually looked elsewhere.”

Eddie has thanked all those who have supported the league for nearly half a century.

“Presdent Bill Gibson and chairman Allan Jones have been ever-present since 1969, falling two years short of 50 years service,” he said.