Pensioner has lucky escape as blaze sweeps through his home

A PENSIONER escaped with minor burns after a blaze swept through his Knypersley home.

Firefighters from Biddulph, Sandyford, Hanley, Burslem, Kidsgrove and Newcastle tackled the incident at a semi-detached house in Park Lane on Thursday night.

The 69 year old occupant, who rushed to a neighbour’s house to raise the alarm, was treated at the Royal Stoke University Hospital for burns and chest injuries.

An investigation has revealed the fire started accidentally.

A Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “The Knypersley incident is a stark reminder of how easily a fire can start if flammable items are stored near a fireplace.

The man had a very lucky escape because there were no working smoke alarms in his home and this incident could so easily have ended in tragedy.”