Firefighters warn of dangers of excess carbon monoxide in the home

THE importance of having a working carbon monoxide alarm in the home is being emphasised by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service following an incident in Leek.

A couple in their 70s were taken to hospital after suffering from the effects of their home being filled with the deadly odourless and tasteless gas.

Firefighters were called to the address in Ball Haye Green after the carbon monoxide alarm activated.

Tests were carried that showed a reading of 70 to 80 carbon monoxide parts per million: the maximum (safe) limit is 35 parts per million over an eight-hour period.

The property was immediately evacuated and ventilated while the firefighters awaited the arrival of a gas engineer.

Fire service watch manager Antony Ball said: “This incident emphasises just how important it is to ensure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms fitted in your property.

In many cases when someone dies as a result of a fire, it is the smoke or toxic poisonous gas which has killed them, before the fire service are even called.

Those without theses alarms may not know there is a cause for concern until there is a significant risk to life.”

The elderly Leek couple have since returned to their home following hospital treatment.