Dishwasher blaze leaves Leek home uninhabitable

A LEEK home has been left uninhabitable after a dishwasher caught fire.

Firefighters were called to the blaze in Junction Road early yesterday afternoon.
The occupant was able to leave her home quickly after discovering the fire and didn’t suffer any injuries. However, the fire caused significant damage to the downstairs rooms and the whole property was smoke damaged, leaving it uninhabitable.

The fire is believed to have started accidentally by an electrical fault within the dishwasher.

Leek station Manager Mark Hall said: “This incident has left a family homeless but it could have been a much more tragic outcome.

It was really touching to see the friends and neighbours of the occupants rally around to help them, a real display of the incredible community spirit the people of Leek have.
“Following the incident we also worked with Staffordshire Moorlands District Council housing team to arrange temporary accommodation for the family.

The home had smoke alarms but they didn’t activate, so the crews replaced them before leaving the scene. “The woman did exactly the right thing, she got out and stayed out while waiting for firefighters to arrive.

We believe the fire was caused by a fault within the dishwasher. This really emphasises the importance of registering your appliances online to make sure you receive any important safety updates or product recalls.”