Flat blaze mum loses her fight for life in hospital

A 36 year old mum, Zainab Adam, has died in hospital less than two days after being rescued from her blazing home.

Her two young children, Tafaoul Fadoul, aged six, and six-month-old Tamunni Fadoul,  remain critically ill in the Royal Stoke Hospital.

The fire broke out at the family’s ground floor flat in Northwood, Hanley, early Sunday morning.

Detective Chief Inspector David Giles, who is leading the police investigation, said: “It is with the deepest sadness that I deliver the news of Zainab’s tragic death, our sincere condolences are extended to her family and friends.

“Zainab’s two children are extremely poorly in hospital and our thoughts and hopes are with them. Specially trained family liaison officers are supporting the family through this very difficult time.

“We believe the fire started in a wall mounted storage heater and my investigation aims to establish what exactly happened. However, I must reaffirm that the cause of the fire was not a deliberate act.

The investigation is closely supported by the Health and Safety Executive and the Fire and Rescue Service.

“I would also like to extend my thanks to local residents for their patience and understanding for the disruption to electricity supply and access to some properties during the initial investigation.”