Investigation reveals Cheadle home blaze was caused by hairdryer

FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to keep electrical items away from combustible materials after a house blaze in Cheadle.

Neighbours raised the alarm when they saw smoke coming from an upstairs window of the property on Leek Road.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets to put out the fire.

An investigation concluded the fire was caused by a hairdryer near a large amount of clothing and shoes.

Fire investigation officer Carl Mason said: “Fortunately no-one was hurt during this incident as the residents were not home when the fire began. Otherwise this could have resulted in a far more serious incident. The whole of the first floor of the property has been damaged by fire, heat and smoke.

We believe the hairdryer switched on accidentally, this came into contact with a large amount of combustible materials in the bedroom. It is not clear how long the appliance was on for however, left unchecked, the fire was able to spread quite quickly.

It is so important for residents not to leave appliances such as this plugged in and to ensure they are stored away from flammable materials.

It is also vital that rooms are kept as clear as possible and exits are not blocked by any clutter. This could save valuable time if a fire was to start in your home.”

For more information about home safety contact the Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service community advice team on 0800 0241 999 or visit