Family pet in the dog house after causing kitchen blaze

FIREFIGHTERS are urging people not to leave flammable materials on or near cookers after a kitchen fire in the Staffordshire Moorlands last night (Tuesday).

Crews from Ipstones and Cheadle attended the incident in High Street, Kingsley, shortly after eight o’clock.

The occupants had returned home to find the smoke alarms operating and the house full of smoke.

The family dog was trapped in the property and was rescued by the occupant.

The man suffered from smoke inhalation after he rescued the dog and tried to put the fire out. He didn’t require hospital treatment but the dog was given oxygen therapy at the scene.

A fire investigation revealed the dog had been left inside the kitchen while the residents were out  and had jumped up at the cooker and accidentally switched on the electric hob.

This ignited plastic toys and other combustible items which had been left on top of and next to the cooker.

The flames spread to the nearby cupboards and up to the ceiling and the thick black smoke from the fire spread to all rooms in the property.

The house is uninhabitable after it was left with severe fire and smoke damage.

Fire station manager Carl Mason said:  “It is really important not to leave any flammable items on top of or near to cookers; even if you are positive they are switched off.

It may seem unlikely that a pet can turn a cooker on but as this incident shows, it does happen and the safest thing to do is keep cookers clear and keep pets out of the kitchen.

Thankfully the dog survived during this fire but things could easily have been very different.

On this occasion the occupant entered the property to rescue the dog and they also attempted to tackle the fire. This put them at significant risk from the fire and the smoke, they were extremely lucky to suffer only minor smoke inhalation.

“We would strongly advise against going into your home if there is a fire – get out, stay out and call the fire service on 999 as quickly as possible.”