Woman died in house blaze after lighting open fire with a match

A FIRE investigation has concluded an elderly woman died after her clothes set alight while she was attempting to light an open fire with a match.

Firefighters from Cheadle and Longton tackled the blaze at the 85-year old victim’s home in Whittington Lane, Whittington, near Leigh on Tuesday morning.

A dog also died in the fire.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue fire investigation officer Brian Griffiths said: “This was a really tragic accident which sadly saw a woman lose her life, and our thoughts are with the lady’s friends and family at this difficult time.”