Make sure your smoke alarms are working fire service warn after Leek incident

PEOPLE are being urged to check that smoke alarms are working properly in the event of a fire.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service have issued the appeal following an incident in Leek today.

Crews responded to a report of a kitchen fire at a property in Leonard Street earlier this morning.

On arrival the fire was found to out but the building was filled with smoke and a woman occupant had to be treated with oxygen therapy.

A Staffordshire Fire and Recue Service spokesperson said: “it appears the lady had left something on the hob and it filled the kitchen with smoke.

“The alarm did not activate so it appears the house did not have working smoke alarms.

“”We would like to remind people the importance of having working smoke alarms.”