Firefighters called out in the early hours of Boxing Day

TWO people had a lucky escape when a chip pan caught fire at their Blythe Bridge home in the early hours of Boxing Day.

Two fire crews from Longton were called to the incident in Elmwood Drive at around 2.30am. On arrival they found the fire had been extinguished.

One of the occupants had escaped the smoke-logged property but the other had to be rescued by firefighters.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Two appliances, both from Longton, attended and one of the occupants was already out of the property. Another had to be led to safety by firefighters using a ladder, but it was just smoke in the house by then.”