Fire warning after tumble dryer blamed for blaze

STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to take care with electrical goods following a serious fire in Swinscoe on the edge of the Staffordshire Moorlands.

Crews were called to a home on Marten Hill at and appliances from Leek, Cheadle and Ashbourne attended. Four firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used two hose reel jets to tackle the blaze. 

One male casualty in his fifties was treated on-scene by the ambulance service for burns to his hand after attempting to tackle the fire himself. 

The fire was believed to have started in a tumble dryer. 

Station manager James Green said: “This incident serves as a reminder as to the dangers of attempting to tackle a fire yourself. Always get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service. Thankfully the man’s injuries are not believed to be serious and he should make a full recovery.

“We would also urge the public to ensure all their appliances are registered with the manufacturer and tested regularly.”