Tuesday Sport: Blues aim to make progress in Staffs Senior Cup

LEEK Town will be making changes for tonight’s (Dec 3) visit from Eccleshall FC in the second round of the Staffordshire Senior Cup.

Blues boss Neil Baker, pictured, said: “I will be looking to those [players] who haven’t had much football recently to come into the side and stake their claim.”

Baker was pleased with his side’s performance at Peterborough Sports in the league on Saturday, where they won a bruising battle 2-1 to keep up with the promotion chasers

Eccleshall, who play in Division One of the North West Counties League, tasted their first defeat under new manager Dave Dale at the weekend, when they went down 4-0 at Oswestry Town.

Dale is looking forward to bringing his young side to Leek and said:” It’s a great opportunity for us to test our development and ability against opponents two steps higher than ourselves.

There will be no pressure on us and it’s a perfect time to enjoy what we are about with no league points at stake.

I expect Leek to have a serious go at this competition and without doubt, field a strong team. It’s an opportunity for our players to express themselves and test their ability as well as their know how against a side from a higher level”.

The winners of tonight’s game, which kicks off at 7.45pm, will face Chasetown or Stoke City in the next round.

PORT Vale are at home to League One Shrewsbury Town in the Checktrade Trophy tonight (7.45pm).

The reserves are away to Midland League outfit Stafford Town in the Staffs Senior Cup. Vale’s FA Cup second round reply will take place at Yeovil Town next Tuesday (Dec 12) with a 7.45pm kick off.

The winners will be at home to Bradford City in the third round.

STOKE City Under 18’s have been gunned out of the Premier League Cup by Arsenal.

The Young Potters were beaten 4-2 on home soil at Clayton Wood in the final round of the group stages.

Arsenal swept into a third minute lead through Xavier Amaechi but Stoke quickly levelled through Abdoulaye Toure.

Skipper Nathan Collins gave Stoke the lead in the opening minute of the second half, but Arsenal replied with goals from Emile Smith-Rowe (2), and Robbie Burton to clinch victory.